Published On: Tue, Oct 27th, 2015

Zwanziger: German soccer officials knew about payment

Share This
Tags
FILE - In this Feb. 26, 2012 file picture former German international head coach and president of FC Bayern Munich Franz Beckenbauer looks on prior to the soccer match between FC Bayern Munich and Schalke 04 in Munich, Germany. Franz Beckenbauer says it was his mistake to make a payment to FIFA in return for a financial grant to the Germany’s 2006 World Cup organizing committee. In a brief statement published by German media late Monday Oct. 26, 2015 , Beckenbauer gave little details about the case that has shaken German football. He reiterated his denial from last week that there was no vote buying before Germany won the bid to stage the World Cup. (AP Photo/Matthias Schrader,file)

(AP Photo/Matthias Schrader)

FRANKFURT, Germany (AP) — In a political feud that could tarnish the reputation of Franz Beckenbauer, the former president of the German soccer federation has accused 2006 World Cup officials of knowing about a questionable payment to FIFA as early as 2002. Theo Zwanziger said Tuesday in a statement that his successor, current German federation president Wolfgang Niersbach, was aware of a 6.7 million euro ($7.38 million) payment to FIFA years earlier than previously thought. Zwanziger has called the payment a slush fund used to buy votes. “It was not a solo thing by Franz Beckenbauer, the top officials of the organizing committee were aware of it, Wolfgang Niersbach, Horst R. Schmidt and Fedor Radmann,” Zwanziger said in a statement through his lawyer.

Source: News from The Associated Press

Leave a comment

XHTML: You can use these html tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

Translate »